I have just installed Equipd. What next?
First of all - welcome to Equipd! I hope it does indeed help you to be "completely equipped for every good work". The following links should help you to get started with Equipd.
If you have been using Equipd 2.X for a while and are trying to get used to Equipd 3.0 then I recommend you read this article: Version 3.0 Released and also How do I efficiently navigate around Equipd?
All About Caching for Offline Use
The first thing you will probably want to do is cache the Bible and key publications so that you can use them in Equipd without an Internet connection. I recommend the following articles:
- Can I use Equipd without an Internet connection?
- How Do I Pre-Cache the Entire Bible for Offline use?
- How Do I Pre-Cache the Library Publications for Offline use?
- How Do I Pre-Cache Publications in Other Languages?
- How Do I Delete a Publication from the Cache?
General Usage Topics
- How do I efficiently navigate around Equipd? New!
- How do I change the font size?
- How do I listen to audio in Equipd?
- How do I underline and highlight content in Equipd?
- How do I delete or add Favourite Publications in the Library?
- Does Equipd auto-update when WOL updates?
Using the Bible
Once you have done that you will probably want to be familiar with these features topics:
- How do I control what Bibles show and their order?
- How can I make best use of the Bible Navigation Scrollers?
- Where is the Concordance in Equipd 3.0?
- How Do I Access My Favourite Scriptures and Lookup History?
Using the Briefcase:
- What is the purpose of the Briefcase?
- How do I save articles from WOL to my Briefcase?
- Can I edit the list of Topics and Articles in the Briefcase?
Using the News tab:
- What is the purpose of the News tab?
- Can I change the RSS Feeds and Podcasts used?
- Can I mark all items as "Read" or "Unread"?
- How do I delete a Single News Item, or All Items?
Most Common Troubleshooting Articles:
- My Bible is showing the old Rbi8 edition instead of the new 2013 Revision
- Equipd opens and has no content, and then crashes
- Equipd is not remembering my Settings
- The Watchtower Study is no longer showing under the Daily Text
- The publications in my language are missing!
- The latest publications are not showing in my Equipd
That should get you started! You should check all the Troubleshooting articles, as well as search the forums. Also check out the Important Tips in the box below.
I encourage you to have a good look around these Support Forums - this should be the first place you look when you have any questions, ideas or problems that you need help with.
All the best!
Tip 1 :: What should you do if you have issues with Equipd?
If you experience issues with Equipd please follow these steps:
- Check that you have the latest version of Equipd installed.
- Have a look on these Forums to see if there are any Announcements of issues, or if there are any Bug Reports or Articles that cover your issue
- As a last resort you can email me using email@example.com
Tip 2 :: Why Is It Important to Pre-cache the Bible and Library Publications?
There are three really important reasons why you should spend the time pre-caching content:
- It allows the Bible and publications to work offline - no Internet connection required!
- It will speed up the loading of content
- It will protect you from being affected by changes on WOL that may temporarily break Equipd
It is important that users understand that Equipd works by loading content directly from the Watchtower Online Library (WOL). This is one of the ways that Equipd avoids copyright issues - and it also gives you confidence that the material you are reading has come directly from jw.org.
However it comes with a catch.
It means that if the brothers ever make changes to the HTML structure of the pages on WOL it can break Equipd. For example recently the brothers changed the code that identified the Bible verses from id="v1" to id="dcv_1". This meant that Equipd no longer understood how to locate and isolate the verses in the Bible. I had to locate the issue and fix Equipd, and then "patiently" wait 7 days for Apple to approve the update for the App Store. In the meantime users were flooding me with emails about Equipd being broken! This case study emphasises why it is good to check these Support Forums before emailing ... it will clarify for you immediately what the problem is, and it will save me a lot of time responding to emails!
So, by pre-caching the Bible and publications you will not be affected by such changes on WOL. Your copy of Equipd will be loading the cached files from before the changes were made, and everything will still work ok, while I fix the problem and make Equipd work with the changed format on WOL.
Hopefully that explains some basic concepts of how Equipd works and why it is important to pre-cache where possible.
All the best with Equipd! I look forward to working with you over the coming months and years ahead.
Auckland, New Zealand